Thursday, June 9, 2011

Homemade Ginger Ale: 30 Days of Creativity: Day 9


Homemade Ginger Ale
(and a Dark and Stormy)


This is perfect for a hot summer day.
I'm not a big fan of sodas but I do like a ginger ale every now and then.  
So I thought if I'm going to drink them, I should make them myself.

I started by making a ginger simple syrup.  I cut up a really large ginger root and plopped it in a pot with four cups of water. 
I let this simmer for about 10 minutes and then let it steep for one hour.


I drained this and discarded the ginger pieces.  I put the liquid back in the pot with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and heated it until the sugar dissolved.
This is the ginger simple syrup it made.


It will stay in the refrigerator for a couple weeks.

To make your fresh glass of ginger ale, mix:
2 parts ginger simple sugar, 1 part lime juice, 3 parts sparkling water


If you want to make a Dark and Stormy drink,
mix 5 parts of your homemade ginger ale with 2 parts Goslings dark rum.


Put on a Nancy Wilson record and let her voice waft through the window as you watch the summer evening from an outdoor chair.  (Or fill in with your moment of choice)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...